Insert Eggplant Emoji Here
I have been inspired to start cooking more vegan/vegetarian friendly dishes. This stew is easy and is very seasonal – you can always change your additional ingredients but always keeping the two main ingredients (OKRA AND EGGPLANT)
- 1 small onion cut in small chunks
- 2 tsp . fresh ginger minced
- 1 tsp . garlic minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil*
- 2 cup puréed tomatoes
- 2 cups okra, frozen
- 2 cups eggplant about 1/2 pound, 3/4″ cubes
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup chicken or vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup chopped Brussel sprouts, chillies and peppers (food processor)
- 1 can chick peas garbanzos, rinsed and drained
- 1 teaspoon garam masala*
- sea salt/fresh ground pepper
Pulse the onion, ginger, and garlic together in the bowl of a small food processor or blender. Heat olive oilin a wok or saute pan, almost to the smoking point. Add the onion puree to the pan. Stir-fry until onion mixture gives up its liquid and begins to brown. It will be a little pasty.
Add okra and eggplant. Reduce heat to medium. Cook until tender, about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
De-glaze the pan with broth, adding enough to keep the vegetables plump
Add chick peas and garam masala. Stir well to combine.