- 1 cup pearl barley, rinsed
- kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 4 stalks Tuscan kaletrimmed and chopped finely
- 1 lemon, freshly squeezed
- 10 cups low sodium chicken stock
- 1 leftover baked ham bone, with some meat (about 2-3 lbs)
- 1 1/2 cups diced carrots (about 2 medium carrots)
How to Make it
- Cut the ham hock and carrots into small bite size pieces.
- In a Dutch oven or large pot, place the chicken stock and ham bone over medium high heat and bring to a boil. Lower heat to a simmer, cover, and cook for about 15 minutes.
- Stir in the carrots, and barley and season to taste with salt and pepper. Continue cooking, stirring occasionally, for about 30 minutes, or until the barley is just starting to soften.
- Stir in the kale and lemon juice and cook for about 10-15 minutes longer, or until the barley is fully cooked. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve immediately.