Yes… I know you might think I am crazy because I am making soup during the summer months but this recipe is exactly what you are craving. Packs a punch and bold flavours.
- 1 cup carrots, sliced
- 1 cup sweet potato, peeled and diced
- 1 roma tomato, diced
- 1 medium sized jalapeno, diced
- 1 1/5 cup black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup shredded chicken (any leftover chicken that you have on hand works for this recipe or you can make some while you are prepping the ingredients for this recipe
- 6 cups water or broth ( I use a 50/50 combination of both)
- 1 tbsp cumin, ground
- 1/4 cup, cilantro, washed and chopped finely
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 shallot, peeled and sliced
- 1 lime
- salt and pepper to taste
Topping Options : diced avocado, plantain chips
How to make it
- Heat a pot on your stove top; when hot add olive oil (when you see some ripples) it’s time to add the carrots and the sweet potato. Coat in olive oil and then add the cumin.
- Once the cumin becomes fragrant, add the shredded chicken, black beans shallot, garlic, tomato and jalapeno. Let it sweat for 5 minutes.
- Add the stock, and let it simmer on low for 20 minutes. Add salt and pepper and the fresh cilantro.
- Squeeze fresh lime and serve with diced avocado and plantain chips