a wonderful fall salad
The original recipe is here. I have made a few adjustments of my own opting the walnuts for some seeds and removing the onions completely.
- 2 small delicata squash
- 2 cups fresh cranberries
- 1/2 cups pumpkin seeds and sunflower seeds
- dash of cinnamon, optional
- 3 cups baby leafy greens (kale, chard, spinach, arugula)
- 1 1/2 – 2 cups cooked quinoa, wheat berries or farro, optional
Apple Cider Dressing
- 2 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 heaping tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1 – 2 tablespoons water or olive oil
How to make it
- Start with roasting the delicata squash and cranberries, cut ends off, slice in half lengthwise and scrape seeds out with a sharp-edged spoon. Lay the squash cut side down and cut into 1/4 inch slices. Toss with olive oil.
- Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper, lay pieces in a single layer and lightly sprinkle with salt. Rinse the cranberries and to the baking sheet Cook for 40 minutes stirring once or twice.
- Mix the dressing: In a jar, combine the dressing ingredients and mix well.
- Assemble Salad: In a large mixing bowl combine the leafy greens, seeds, slightly cooled squash, cranberry mixture and dressing, toss well. Add in cooked grain of choice and gently toss again.