Jordana Hart (ihartnutrition) is by far one of my favourite bloggers; and I had to make her bourekas recipe. Lately, I have been on a plant based kick – where I am trying to integrate more plant based meals in my weekly meal plan! I substituted the ground beef for some sweet potatoes and fire roasted red peppers!
- 4 rice paper wrappers
- 1/4 cup red onion, diced
- 1 fire roasted red pepper, diced
- 1/2 cup sweet potato, peeled and diced
- 2 cups cabbage, thinly sliced
- 1/2 tbsp chilli paste
- 1/2 tbsp honey (local if possible)
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- salt and pepper for seasoning
How to make it
- Preheat your oven at 400F.
- While your oven is preheating, prep all your vegetables that you will be using.
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil. When hot, add onion and garlic. Caramelize until fragrant.
- Add the cabbage, sweet potato and the red pepper.
- Sauté for 15 minutes until caramalized.
To make the bourekas,
- Soak the rice paper in water so you are able to handle it.
- When manageable, lay flat on a cutting board; add 1 scoop of the mixture and wrap.
- Fold the rice paper like into a pocket.
- Keep repeating until you no longer have any filling mixture.
- Add egg wash to the top, and sprinkle some sesame seeds
- Bake for 20 minutes until golden brown.