A CLASSIC WITH A TWIST
- 1 lb. grass-fed ground beef or lam
- 1 1/2 cup frozen peas and carrot blend
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 cup mushrooms, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 1/2 tsp. dried rosemary
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt or to taste
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 1/4 cup organic tomato paste
- 1/4 cup water
Sweet Potato Topping:
- 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed (~5 cups cubed)
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil or butter
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp. sea salt
How to make it
- Preheat oven to 375℉.
- In a skillet on medium heat, add the ground beef, onions, mushrooms and minced garlic.
- Cook on medium heat until carrots are soft, about 12-15 minutes. Begin making the topping while the meat filling cooks.
- Add frozen carrots and peas.
- Once the carrots are soft, stir in tomato paste, water, seasonings, salt and pepper.
- For the topping: Steam or bake (at 375℉) the sweet potatoes until fork tender. Then add all of the topping ingredients to a food processor (or blender) and process until smooth. NOTE: If using white potatoes, we recommend mashing them by hand rather than blending to prevent them from getting pasty.
- Final step: Transfer the meat filling to a casserole dish (9 x 9 inch dish will work) or cast iron skillet and top the meat filling with the sweet potato mash. Dash with sea salt and paprika.
- Bake for 10 minutes. Remove from oven and serve.