New Year, New Lunch Recipe!
The original recipe is here; I made a few adjustments! 🙂 Enjoy
- 4 chicken breasts, pounded to 1/2 inch thickness
- 1 tablespoon mediterranean seasoning (you can substitute Italian seasoning in a pinch)
- 1 red pepper, thinly sliced
- 1/2 shallot, thinly sliced
- 4 pitas (this is a Greek-style flatbread you can find at almost any grocery store near the bread and tortillas or in the bakery)
- optional: lettuce, feta cheese crumbles
- 1/2 English cucumber, peeled and diced
- 2 cups cold plain Greek yogurt
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/3 cup 1/3 cup chopped dill, fresh
- 1 1/2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice (juice of 1/2 medium lemon)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
How to make it
- Puree all sauce ingredients in a blender or food processor (see note). Cover and chill until ready to serve. (If you have time, make this a few hours in advance or the night before so that the flavors can marinate)
- Season chicken breasts with mediterranean seasoning. Cook in a large skillet or pan over medium heat 5-6 minutes on each side until cooked through. Cut into strips.
- Lay pitas on a clean surface. Add lettuce (if desired, chicken, red pepper strips, and onions. Top with tzatziki sauce and feta (if desired). Fold pita over like a sandwich, or roll it into a “tunnel shape”.