It’s the new year and one of my goals is to be more conscience with my spending. So I decided to start making budget friendly recipes for everyone. This recipe cost under $15 to make and feeds at least 4 people. You won’t regret making this one.
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tsp grated fresh ginger
- 1 yellow onion
- 1 bag shredded cabbage (green and purple with carrots – coleslaw mix)
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 Tbsp curry powder (mild or hot)
- 1 cup frozen peas and carrots
- 1 Tbsp butter or your favourite dairy free “butter”
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 handful cilantro
How to make it
- Prepare the vegetables before you begin, so they’re ready to go when you need them. Mince the garlic, and grate the ginger. Slice the onion, and put the shredded cabbage in a bowl.
- Add the olive oil, garlic, and ginger to a large pot. Sauté the garlic and ginger over medium heat for about one minute, then add the curry powder and sauté for one minute more.
- Add the sliced onions to the pot and sauté for 2-3 minutes, or just until the onions begin to soften.
- Finally, add the cabbage, a 1/4 cup water, and a pinch of salt. Stir to combine and dissolve any browned bits off the bottom of the pot. Continue to stir and cook the cabbage over medium heat for about 15 minutes, or until the cabbage is tender. Add a tablespoon or two of water to the pot if it becomes too dry or the spices begin to stick to the bottom of the pot.
- Once the cabbage is soft, add the frozen peas and carrots. Stir and heat through (1-2 minutes). Once the peas are heated, add the butter and stir until the butter has melted and coated the vegetables. Finally, season generously with salt and pepper to taste. Top with fresh cilantro just before serving.