2020 is the year, where I try to integrate as many plant based recipes to my weekly meal planning. Split pea soup is a classic and a delicious soup but I wanted to omit the ham and use some other flavours without having any meat protein.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 medium onions (diced)
- 2 carrots (diced)
- 3 celery stalks (diced)
- 6 cups vegetable stock or water
- 2 cups yellow split peas
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 bay leaves
- salt and pepper (to taste)
How to make it
- In a large pot over medium high heat, add olive oil and onions. Cook for 4-5 minutes, until onions are translucent and becoming soft.
- Add carrots and celery and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add all the remaining ingredients, and bring to a boil. Lower heat, cover and simmer for 1½ hours, stirring every 25 minutes or so, until peas are tender.
- Stir and adjust the consistency by adding ½ cup water at a time, until desired consistency is reached. I usually add between 1 cup to 1 1/2 cups.
- Pull bay leaves out, season well with salt and pepper and serve.