- 2 tbsp vegetable oil , divided
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 2 1/2 cup mushrooms , sliced
- 3 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp flour
- 2 cups / 500 ml beef broth or mushroom stock (or whatever stock you have on hand)
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 150 ml / 2/3 cup sour cream / yogurt
- Salt and pepper
How to make it
- Turn heat to medium high. Add butter, melt. Then add onions, cook for 1 minute, then add mushrooms.
- Cook mushrooms until golden.
- Add flour, cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
- Add half the broth while stirring. Once incorporated, add remaining broth.
- Stir, then add sour cream and mustard. Stir until incorporated (don’t worry if it looks split, sour cream will “melt” as it heats).
- Bring to simmer ,then reduce heat to medium low. Once it thickens to the consistency of pouring cream (3 – 5 minutes), adjust salt and pepper to taste.
- Simmer for 1 minute, then remove from stove immediately. (Note 4)
- Serve over pasta or egg noodles, sprinkled with fresh herbs if desired