Here’s the original recipe; I made some alterations due to what I had in my pantry! This is a gluten-free recipe
- 2 cup gluten free oat flour **
- 1/2 cup organic coconut flour
- 1/3 cup sugar or coconut sugar
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon powder
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 cup butter; at room temperature
- 1 tbsp orange zest
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 2/3 cup fresh or frozen cranberries, halved
** (you will need more than 2 cups of oats if you grind your own)
How to make it
- In one mixing bowl, combine all dry ingredients: oat flour, coconut flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, sea salt and orange zest.
- Cut the butter into the dry mixture. In order to combine evenly, I like to keep the butter soft at room temperature instead of cold.
- Beat 1 egg and half cup of butter milk together, stir into the dry mixture gently, until everything form into a dough. Adjust the consistency at this time. If too dry, add a little more butter milk, if too wet, add a touch of oat flour. Fold in the halved cranberries.
- Press the dough into a flat round wheel about 3/4 to 1 inch thick. Cut it into 8 wedges. Separate the wedges and place them on a lined baking sheet.
- Bake the scones in a pre-heated oven at 400ºF for 15 mins.