This is not an original recipe – it was taken from the amazing Martha Stewart! Here’s the original recipe. I have also made changes to make this vegan
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced small
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour (spooned and leveled)
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 pound broccoli, cut into florets, stems peeled and chopped
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
How to make it
- In a medium pot, melt butter over medium. Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, 8 minutes.
- Add flour and cook, stirring, until combined, 1 minute.
- Whisking constantly, add broth and 1 cup water and bring to a boil over high. Reduce heat and simmer, whisking occasionally, 10 minutes.
- Add broccoli and bring to a simmer. Cook until broccoli is very tender, 20 minutes.
- Transfer mixture to a large bowl. In batches, fill a blender halfway with mixture and puree until smooth; to allow heat to escape, remove cap from hole in lid, cover lid with a dish towel, and hold down firmly while blending. Return soup to pot as pureed.
- Add cream and heat over medium until warmed through. Season with salt and pepper. Thin with broth or water, if desired.
- To make this vegan, swap the heavy cream for some full fat coconut milk
- Vegetable broth instead of chicken broth
- Vegetable based fat instead of butter!