- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped ginger
- 3 large red beets, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- 5 cups vegetable stock, divided
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) low-fat coconut milk
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Parsley (optional)
- Canned julienned beets (optional)
- Crusty bread (optional)
How to make it
In a large pot, heat oil over medium heat.
Sauté onion, 5 minutes. Add garlic and ginger; cook, stirring often, 5 minutes.
Add beets and 4 cups stock; bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer until beets are fork-tender, 20 minutes.
With an immersion or regular blender, puree soup, adding remaining 1 cup stock as needed to reach desired consistency. Stir in milk, salt and pepper.
Garnish with parsley and julienned beets and serve with bread, if desired.